

Halifax & District Branch meeting

Teleconference and in person meeting held for the Halifax & District Branch on 12, January 2023 at 16:00

Present by phone were, Dean Evans (DE), Sherry Briand (SB),

In Person: Bruce MacKellar (BM), Andrew Watts (AW), Chigaya Smith (CS)

Opening remarks by AW

This is our first face to face meeting in 2023 and we have 3 participants and two on conference call. I have distributed meeting minutes from last meeting in the room; however, I am no unable to send it out until it's get passed. Very good start of 2023.

Branch Financial:

AW: Would you present the report to members, please?

CS: Operating account is in healthy condition, stable, we have total of \$41,713.95 in our account.

AW: the account is consisted of 7 different accounts, i.e.: Investment, Operational (everyday) Membership

AW: Any questions regard to treasury report?

AW: Any questions from last minutes?

DE: Clarification on supporting role for RSMC?

AW: The role is not support RSMC supervisor, but is for health and safety support, since there were fatalities in RSMC area in 2022, focus on safety, driving habit monitoring

DE: There was/is different position in Cape Breton district, support role for RSMC.

AW: I talked with John, and he mentioned there was nothing / no interests for the position. Is this National Depot support position?

DE: Yes. It is National. To assist restructure for RSMC.

AW: I am surprised that John didn't mention anything, I will reach out to Jeanne Bourgeois and find out more information.

National Update:

Vey quiet and no change in National office. They are working from office now. They are trying to get clarification on newly established "6-day Personal Day" effective January 1, 2023, since there was question came from C&D area. Supervisor was told if taking personal day and working on their own work, they will be interviewed. There are two

important component of new personal day 1) Full day basis 2) can not be carry over. Therefore, between January to June, taking a day per month will be ideal. In July, we will get total 13 days personal day – 6 days can not be carried over and regular 7 days.

I am hoping we will keep number of members to be over 100 in January; therefore, we can send 3 delegates to National Convention in July.

New Business:

DE: Constitution amendment for National Convention

AW: Yes, you are correct. As a branch, if we need to see any National Constitution changed, we need to submit to National prior to the Convention. National has not announced deadline date for submission yet. Once it gets announced; then I would like to discuss and pass within branch and submit to National. I am hoping the date will be announced before our next meeting which is in March. If deadline is earlier than our next meeting, we will need to have meeting before scheduled one

Staffing - AW

Membership grew over 100.

All current permanent position has been filled – full compliment

Blain wants to bring new terms. Having terms is beneficially when vacancies occur. There will be position needs to be filled due to domino effect of RSMC safety position has been filled with one of OP3 position, however no movement on this yet.

I am disappointed with the outcome of RMO position has been filled in New Brunswick, which was a term position in Halifax. Joe's position was filled by Brad who was PC&R and Trever who holds RMO position was filling in PC&R position. However, Brad moved onto permanent position; therefore, Trever's position become permanent in PC&R. Therefore, Manager in ROO made quick move and kept RMO position in St. John and welcomed RMO from Ontario.

DE: Is Heidi going back?

AW: Yes. The team position was originally filled by Andrew Fowler and when Andrew got position as RMO; the term position went to Heidi

SB: Not sure where Brad went?

AW: Not sure either – however, there is some family ties

SB: I was not aware of that

AW: Anything else for new business?

AW: We will need to do internal audit for 2022.

SB: when is the deadline?

AW: Not sure exact date; however, February or early March

SB: I will be in Truro until February 3, however, after that, I will be available

AW: Bruce is here, and I have spoke with him about audit

CS: Could you share information about next week Safety Circuit Breaker NS – 2023, please?

AW: If you are asked to participate and comfortable; then please do

SB: I will be happy to drive; however, I won't be doing inspection and driving at the same time by myself. Also, I won't be talking with CUPW since we don't have any presentation of Shop Stewart to accompany me.

AW: We are support role and we are not expected to talk to CUPW; just another set of eyes

BM: Not sure how people are asked to participate on this. My understand was that if they have questions on delivery maintenance area which I have knowledge, then I can answer. But other than that – I was not trained to do on-street observation and not comfortable to do. If no one is teaming up with me; I am not planning to go

SB: I can be a driver of observation and perhaps second signature on inspection?

AW: In my opinion; I would not sign anything. Talk to superintendent and ask who and what you are exactly doing?

BM: How did you asked from manager on this Safety Circuit Breaker NS – 2023?

AW: When I had a conversation with John; he sated that it is not mandatory, but aske to participate one day to assist. My advice is don't do anything you are not comfortable with

SB: Chigaya and I were voluntold.

AW: I have very good relationship with all the managers in the area, if you have any concerns; contact me, I will make a call directly.

SB: I am all good

Thank you all for your time attending the meeting.